fbpx

Memphis Theological Seminary is proud to announce the new Assistant Professor of Formation for Ministry and Supervised Ministry, Rev. Dr. Christy S. Woodbury Moore.

Dr. Peter Gathje, Vice President of Academic Affairs/Academic Dean, says, “We are delighted that Dr. Moore is joining the faculty at Memphis Theological Seminary. She brings theological depth and practical ministry experience to this key position which will integrate our formation for ministry and supervised ministry programs. Students will benefit from this integration as it will help them see how attention to their spiritual lives is crucial for their ongoing practice of ministry. Dr. Moore through her education and experience is well prepared to help students develop this integration.”

Dr. Moore has served as an adjunct faculty for the Doctor of Ministry Program at MTS, as well as an adjunct faculty and program manager for the Samuel DeWitt Proctor School of Theology Doctor of Ministry program. She holds an undergraduate degree in chemical engineering, and says that her path to seminary and theological education was not always straight or logical: “My formation encompasses a continuum of experiences that range from Corporate America to Church Leadership to Leadership in Theological Education,” Dr. Moore says, “It is these experiences coupled with my lived experiences that shape my thinking, decision- making and the ways I show up to do ministry in the world.”

Dr. Moore hails from Jackson, Mississippi, and is a new resident of Memphis, after moving here from Richmond, Virginia when her husband, Dr. Michael Moore, accepted the pastoral leadership of Metropolitan Baptist Church.

“I am womanist-advised and taught by the late Rev. Dr. Katie Geneva Cannon. I say her name because her wisdom continues to encourage me to be my authentic self.”

“My interest is in helping the seminary student recognize the value in bringing their whole selves to the learning experience and that no experience, be it past or present, is wasted on this journey,” Dr. Moore says, “I can relate to the anxiety that comes with preparing to do ministry while simultaneously questioning your call altogether, all of which are significant to our formation as faith leaders.”

Dr. Moore says she is most excited about building relationships with the MTS Community. “I look forward to creating space that welcomes the ‘wrestle’ that comes along with theological education, and learning from the experiences of the students.”

Dr. Moore with her D.Min cohort at Memphis Theological Seminary