Become a Student

Learn how you can become a student at MTS by requesting information from the Admissions Department.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for admission to Memphis Theological Seminary?

Make sure you meet the admission requirements for desired program, then you can fill out the application or schedule to meet with the Admissions Department to get step by step instructions of the application process.

NOTICE: If you intend to apply for scholarships as an incoming student you MUST meet the early application deadline.

I work full-time and have a family. How can I find the time to be a full-time student?

All of our classes are on block scheduling, which means that each class meets one day a week for three hours. Starting in the 2016 Fall Semester classes will be at 8:00am, 1:15pm and 6:00pm.

Approximately one-third of our students live over 100 miles away and commute to school. Overnight housing for commuters is available, which means that you can be a full-time student and still only be away from home and work one or two days a week.

Starting Fall 2016 we will be offering a Master of Divinity Evening Track. Students who are only able to take night classes will now be able to graduate in four years without ever taking a day class and have to miss time off work. These classes will be offered Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6:00pm – 9:00pm.

What kind of career can I seek with a degree from MTS?

Degree Programs

MDiv – Senior Pastor, Associate Pastor, Hospital Chaplin, Hospice Chaplin, College Chaplin, Missionary, Church Planter

MAYM – Youth Minister or Director of Youth Ministry, Camping Ministry

MACM – Christian Education Director, Church Leadership, Church Staff, Children’s Minister, Director of Family Ministry, Director of Adult Discipleship, Sunday School Superintendent, Non Profit Ministry, Activist, Outreach Ministry, Senior Adult Ministry, Missionary

MAR – Church Staff, Writer, Professor with continued education, Missionary

Certificate Programs

DAAC – Drug and Alcohol Addiction Counselor

Netters Certificate in Ministry – Sunday School Leadership, Church Staff

I do not have a bachelors degree can I still be a student?

If you are interested in taking classes at MTS, but do not have a bachelor’s degree there are two options:

  • If you are simply interested in a particular class, anyone has the option of auditing a class at MTS as long as there is a seat. Auditors are those students who take a course without receiving academic credit. Most classes are available for auditing, and permission of the instructor may be required. 

  • People who would like to seek education in ministry, but do not have a bachelor’s degree can apply to be a part of the Netter’s Certificate in Ministry Program. There are no education requirements for these certification classes and these classes are not for credit. The program is designed for persons who are active in congregational life and desire high-level theological education for associate ministers, Sunday School Teachers, committee chairpersons and others who serve the Church.

I have a bachelor’s degree, but it’s not in religion. Can I still apply?

Yes. While a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution is required, that degree may be in any field. Memphis Theological Seminary has students with educational backgrounds in psychology, history, religion, engineering, finance, education, business, law… you name it.

Can I be admitted in the Drug & Alcohol Addiction Counseling program with out a Bachelors degree?

In order to be admitted into the DAAC certificate program students must have a bachelor’s degree. The bachelors degree does not have to be in any particular area.

How long will it take me to complete a degree?

The MDiv is an 84 hour program, which is designed to be completed in three years for those who are full-time students. MTS now has an night track for students who are only take evening courses. The night track can be completed in four years for those who are full-time students. The MAR degree is a 36 hour program, which is designed to be completed in two years full-time and three years for the night track full-time. The MACM degree is 42 hours, which is designed to be completed in two years full-time and three years for the night track full-time. For these three degree programs your actual time for completion will depend on how many classes you are able to take each semester.

The MAYM is 48 hours and is completed in three years, this program does not have a night track. The Doctor of Ministry Degree is a 36 hour program, which is designed to be completed within 3 years. The Drug and Alcohol Addiction Certificate program is designed to be completed in 1 year. The Netters Certificate in Ministry is designed to be completed in 1 year.

How much is tuition?

Tuition for the 2016 – 2017 Academic year:

  • Master’s courses are $495 per credit hour.

  • Doctor of Ministry courses are $495 per credit hour plus Immersion Fee of $85 per credit hour.

  • DAAC courses are $495 per credit hour.

  • Alumni receive 50% off per credit hour for up to two classes.

  • Netters Certificate Program $185 per class.

  • Auditor’s per class $400.

  • Over 65 Auditor’s $185.


Application Fee for the 2016 – 2017 Academic year:

  • Masters – $45

  • Doctor of Ministry – $60

  • DAAC – $45

  • Netters Certificate – $15

  • Auditor – $15

Can I get financial aid?

We offer unsubsidized Stafford Loans. Contact the Director of Financial Aid for more information about Federal Financial Aid through the Stafford Loan program, United Methodist and Cumberland Presbyterian Denominational Service Loans, and Veterans’ Benefits.

Am I too old to go back to school?

The average age of our entering students is 35 – 45. We recently graduated a 73 years young student and we have as students as young as 21. You are never too old to answer God’s call on your life.

Can I complete a degree program by only taking evening classes?

Starting Fall 2016 we will be offering a Master of Divinity Evening Track and a Master of Arts in Christian Ministry Evening Track. Students who are only able to take night classes will now be able to graduate in four years or less without having to take a day class. These classes will be offered Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6:00pm – 9:00pm with Formation for Ministry at 5:00pm.

I feel called to seminary, but I don’t know exactly what God wants me to do. Which degree program should I choose?

You’re not alone, so don’t worry. Many people whom God calls take a while to figure out the details. Switching from one ministry degree program to another ministry degree is easy if done early enough. You may also apply as a non-degree-seeking student and earn up to 12 hours credit while deciding which degree to pursue.

Is the GRE required?

No, the GRE is not required to be admitted into the seminary. Criteria for admissions include a bachelor’s degree with a cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.50 on a 4.0 scale for the Master of Divinity, Master of Arts in Youth Ministry and the Master of Arts in Christian Ministry. The Master of Arts in (Religion) requires a grade point average of at least a 3.2 on a 4.0 scale. This degree must be from a college or university accredited by the regional accrediting association.

  • When is my payment due?
    Tuition is always due on or before the first day of class.
  • Where can I mail my payment?
    168 E. Parkway South, Memphis, TN 38104 Attn: Bursar’s Office.
  • Can I pay my fees over the phone or online by credit card?
    You can make a credit card payment over the phone. We do not accept credit card payments online at this time.
  • Can I register for the next semester if I have an outstanding balance?
    Unfortunately, if a student account remains unpaid, the account is placed on hold at mid-term. Our computer system will not allow registration or issuance of a transcript when there is an outstanding balance.
  • Can I pay my fees before I receive an invoice?
    Yes. Fees can be paid as soon as you register for a class.
  • How should my check be made out?
    Make your check payable to “Memphis Theological Seminary” and write your student ID number on the check.
  • How do I receive my excess financial aid funds?
    Refund checks are ready within 7 days after the funds have been received by MTS. The Business Office makes it the highest priority to prepare the refunds as soon as possible. You will be contacted by the Business Office through your student MTS email address when your refund and paperwork are ready. You will need to bring your current drivers license with you. Also, please note that even if you do not receive a refund, you are still required to sign additional paperwork. Any inquiries concerning refund checks before 7 days only slows down the process.
  • What if I decide I am not going to attend classes this term?
    There is a refund schedule in the financial section of the MTS catalog. It is your responsibility to withdraw or drop any classes within the appropriate time frame to receive a credit and there is an additional drop/add fee of $30 assessed to your account.

  • Where do I go to search for periodical articles, book reviews, and essays?
    Use EBSCOHost search for access to the ATLA Religion database or the Tennessee Electronic Library.
  • Can I renew materials without coming to the library?
    Yes, but only once and only if they’re not already overdue. Call the library or renew online using the library catalog.
  • What is my patron ID number?
    It is the number on the barcode on the back of your student ID or library card.
  • Who can get a library card?
    Current students, faculty, staff, and alumni of MTS can receive a library card with no charge. Other persons wishing to obtain a library card may purchase one for $25 per year.