fbpx

+ Where are you in your MTS journey? Where are you from? What church connections and/or leadership positions should we know about?

I’m in my second year/ 4th semester at MTS and am pursuing my MDiv with a specialization in chaplaincy. I am a native Memphian. However, my husband is senior pastor at Mount Olive MBC in Little Rock, AR where I gratefully serve as an associate minister and first lady (in the context of our tradition) to a beloved community of believers.

+ What led you to your work as a chaplain? What personal connection do you have to this kind of work?

I was led to do chaplaincy work by my heart’s desire to see people comforted, hopeful, and healed. Although I understand that my role is not to solve their problems, I consider it an honor to plant seeds of hope on their road to wellness.

+ What part of chaplaincy work is most meaningful to you? 

The most meaningful part of chaplaincy work for me is being present with those who may feel alone in their suffering and have lost hope. I pray that my being there serves as a gracious reminder of God’s presence, love, and compassion for those experiencing the distress of life in downhearted situations.

+ Tell us about an aspect of your work so far with West Cancer Center and Memphis Theological Seminary that has caused you to change or grow in some way. 

Although I had some knowledge of how valuable one’s presence is during care encounters, the affirmation unveiled in the smiles and the newfound hope shared by care seekers have assured me that presence is sufficient without the utterance of words. I have grown in active and spiritually supportive listening because of the training I’ve received at MTS and the practical ministry I am honored and privileged to practice at West Cancer Center. Also, I have learned not to place those who are suffering on a “flight to wellness.” However, it’s more helpful to sit with someone in their suffering until they are ready to move forward. Thus far this has been one of the most heartfelt, life-changing, awe-inspiring acts of service I’ve experienced since I accepted my call into the ministry. I consider myself blessed to serve in this capacity.

+ What would you tell someone who is interested in or discerning a call to chaplaincy?

I encourage anyone interested in chaplaincy to enroll in Memphis Theological Seminary to receive the tools needed to effectively assist those desiring the professional spiritual care of a trained, compassionate chaplain who can meet them where they are and sit with them in their pain until they’re ready to move forward in faith on their journey to healing.