Frequently Asked Questions
How do I apply for admission to Memphis Theological Seminary?

Make sure you meet the admission requirements for desired program, then you can fill out the application or schedule to meet with the Admissions department to get step by step instructions of the application process.

NOTICE: If you intend to apply for scholarships as an incoming student you MUST meet the early application deadline.

What kind of career can I seek with a degree from MTS?

Degree Programs

MDiv – senior pastor, associate pastor, hospital chaplain, college chaplain, missionary, church planter

MACM – Christian education director, church staff, children’s minister, director of family ministry, director of adult discipleship, senior adult ministry, Sunday school superintendent, non- profits, activist, outreach, missionary


Certificate Programs

I do not have a bachelors degree can I still be a student?

If you are interested in taking classes at MTS, but do not have a bachelor’s degree, you have two options:


  • If you are simply interested in a particular class, anyone has the option of auditing a class at MTS as long as there is a seat. Auditors are those students who take a course without receiving academic credit. Most classes are available for auditing, and permission of the instructor may be required. 

  • People who would like to seek education in ministry, but do not have a bachelor’s degree can apply to be a part of the Certificate in Foundations for Ministry but graduate credit is not given for these courses in the program. There are no education requirements for these certification classes and these classes are not for credit. The program is designed for persons who are active in congregational life and desire high-level theological education for associate ministers, Sunday school teachers, committee chairpersons, and others who serve the church. Click here to find out more

I have a bachelor’s degree, but it’s not in religion. Can I still apply?

Yes. While a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution is required, that degree may be in any field. Memphis Theological Seminary has students with educational backgrounds in psychology, history, religion, engineering, finance, education, business, law, etc.

How long will it take me to complete a degree?
The Master of Divinity is 78 credit hours and is designed to be completed in three years for those who are full-time students. Students may choose from fully online classes that are either synchronous or asynchronous, and on campus classes that meet either monthly/weekly for the MDiv or MACM program.

The Master of Arts in Christian Ministry is 48 credit hours and is designed to be completed in two years full-time. For these three degree programs your actual time for completion will depend on how many classes students are able to take each semester.

The Doctor of Ministry is 32 credit hours and is designed to be completed in three years. This program is not offered online.

Can I get financial aid?

We offer Unsubsidized Direct Loans and Grad Plus Loans. Contact the Director of Financial Aid for more information about Federal Financial Aid through the Stafford Loan program, United Methodist and Cumberland Presbyterian Denominational Service Loans, and Veterans’ Benefits.

Am I too old to go back to school?

The average age of our entering students is 35 – 45. We recently graduated a 73 years young student and we have as students as young as 21. You are never too old to answer God’s call on your life.

May I complete my degree with all online classes?

Yes, MTS offers an online degree for both the MDiv and the MACM degrees. All classes are online, either in person via zoom (synchronous classes), or asynchronous classes where students follow a schedule of online instruction each week. All students take three four day residencies, one at the beginning of their studies, one in the middle, and one at the end. There is also a monthly retreat format for classes in which half of the instruction is online and the other half is on campus once a month.

I feel called to seminary, but I don’t know exactly what God wants me to do. Which degree program should I choose?

You’re not alone, so don’t worry. Many people whom God calls take a while to figure out the details. Switching from one ministry degree program to another ministry degree is easy if done early enough. You may also apply as a non-degree-seeking student and earn up to 12 hours credit while deciding which degree to pursue.

Is the GRE required?

No, the GRE is not required for admission. Criteria for admission for the Master of Divinity (MDiv) and the Master of Arts in Christian Ministry (MACM) include an accredited undergraduate degree with a cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.50 on a 4.0 scale. Criteria for admission for the Doctor of Ministry (DMin) include an accredited Master of Divinity with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or its equivalent. For more information about admissions criteria, click here.

  • When is my payment due?
    Tuition is due two weeks prior to the start of the semester and no later than the first day of the semester.
  • Where can I mail my payment?
    168 E. Parkway South, Memphis, TN 38104 Attn: Bursar’s Office.
  • Can I pay my fees over the phone or online by credit card?
    You can make a credit card payment over the phone with a 2.75% processing fee on all debit/credit cards. Tuition payments can also be made by students by way of their student portal ledger tab. The 2.75% processing fee has to be manually included when making payment via the student portal. (Please contact the Business Office for assistance if needed) Visa/Mastercard and Discover are the cards we currently accept.
  • Can I register for the next semester if I have an outstanding balance?
    Unfortunately, if a student account remains unpaid, the account is placed on hold at mid-term. Our computer system will not allow registration or issuance of a transcript when there is an outstanding balance.
  • Can I pay my fees before I receive an invoice?
    Yes. Fees can be paid as soon as you have been registered for a class. Invoices are not mailed but are viewable at the student portal as soon as you have registered for a class/classes. (Click on the semester you’ve registered to view your balance for tuition and fees).
  • How should my check be made out?
    Make your check payable to “Memphis Theological Seminary/MTS” and write your student ID number on the check.
  • How do I receive my excess financial aid funds?
    Refund checks are ready within 14 days after the funds have been received by MTS. The Business Office makes it the highest priority to prepare the refunds as soon as possible. You will be contacted by the Business Office through your student MTS email address when your refund and paperwork are ready. You will need to bring your current drivers license or government issued ID with you. Also, please note that even if you do not receive a refund, you are still required to sign additional paperwork.
  • What if I decide I am not going to attend classes this term?
    There is a refund schedule in the financial section of the MTS catalog. It is your responsibility to withdraw or drop any classes, with the Registrar’s Office, within the appropriate time frame to receive a credit. There is an drop/add fee of $55 (with each class added/dropped) assessed to your account.

  • Where do I go to search for periodical articles, book reviews, and essays?
    Use EBSCOHost search for access to the ATLA Religion database or the Tennessee Electronic Library.
  • Can I renew materials without coming to the library?
    Yes, but only once and only if they’re not already overdue. Call the library or renew online using the library catalog.
  • What is my patron ID number?
    It is the number on the barcode on the back of your student ID or library card.
  • Who can get a library card?
    Current students, faculty, staff, and alumni of MTS can receive a library card with no charge. Other persons wishing to obtain a library card may purchase one for $25 per year.