fbpx

Memphis Theological Seminary is grieved by the recent tragic deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Ahmaud Arbery. God calls Christians to respond in love and truth, condemning hate and injustice in all their forms. To our community–particularly to black staff, faculty, students, alumni, and supporters of color–we affirm our commitment to reject the racism which has plagued our nation for centuries. 

As a white man, I cannot begin to understand the devastating impact of racism upon people of color. But as the pastor of this racially diverse institution, I can honestly say that when any one of our seminary community members hurt, I hurt. While I have only served as the president of MTS for five months, my love for our faculty, staff, and students grows every day because I view each person here as a precious child of God—my brother or sister through the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.

On Monday, I received a special call for prayer from Cumberland Presbyterian Church Moderator and MTS Graduate Rev. Shelia O’Mara. I affirm her statement (click here to read), and embrace her call to prayer. I extend prayers, support, and love to all those affected and devastated by this horrific violence. I ask you to join me for a special time of prayer at 11 AM this Friday wherever you are at that time. As a seminary community, may we seek the Holy Spirit’s comfort for grieving friends and families of the recent tragedies and search the Spirit for ways we can help to bring healing to our nation.

May God Bless You and our Country,

Rev. Dr. Jody Hill

President

Memphis Theological Seminary