Memphis Theological Seminary, an ecumenical mission of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, announces a search for its eighth president.
We are seeking a President who has experience in and enthusiasm for fundraising and strategic planning, who is an effective communicator, demonstrates collaborative leadership skills, and values and embodies the MTS mission. Qualifications include a terminal degree and experience in executive level leadership.
Interested persons should send a letter of application, resume and three
letters of reference to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Memphis
Theological Seminary, Presidential Search Committee, 168 E Parkway S, Memphis,
TN 38104. Nominations are also welcome. Review of applications will begin April 2,
The mission of Memphis Theological Seminary is to educate and sustain men and women for ordained and lay Christian ministry in the church and the world through shaping and inspiring lives devoted to scholarship, piety, and justice.
Memphis Theological Seminary pursues its mission so that Christian leaders and the churches they serve can effectively proclaim and embody God’s mission of redemption, justice, and peace in service to the new creation in Jesus Christ.
- Correspond and meet with donors and philanthropists in the pursuit of donations for the seminary.
- Develop and lead fundraising plan for the seminary.
LEAD THE MTS COMMUNITY:
- Provide spiritual leadership for the institution.
- Supervise and evaluate direct reports: VP for Academic Affairs/Dean, VP of Advancement, VP of Operations/CFO, Executive Assistant to the President, and some of the work of Associate Dean for Institutional Effectiveness.
- Supervise the work of staff to determine priorities, establish relevant policies and procedures, over-see operational concerns, and personnel decisions.
- Supervise the preparation of the annual budget
Authorize purchases or transfer of funds for fiscal activities
Insure fiscal policies and procedures are in place and followed
- Recommend faculty selections of new faculty, tenure and advancement of rank of existing faculty, and “Emeritus” status of retiring faculty to the Board of Trustees
- Approve hiring and termination of all staff personnel
- Review all faculty/staff exit interviews
- Oversee issuance of all annual contracts for faculty and appropriate administrators
- Participate in grievance resolution of students, faculty and staff
WORK WITH THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES:
- Recruit, train and collaborate with members of the Board of Trustees
- Provide vision and leadership in the development and implementation of a strategic plan
- Execute the decisions of the Board of Trustees
- Prepare reports to the Board of Trustees
BE THE PUBLIC “FACE” OF MTS
- Represent MTS to the General Assembly of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and judicatories of the denomination.
- Represent MTS to the leadership of denominations represented by the student body at the seminary.
- Represent MTS to the public, media and other partners.
- May teach one course per year as needed.
Perform all other duties incumbent on the Office of President.
Qualifications Preferred Education and Experience:
An earned doctorate or other terminal degree
- Experience in Fundraising
- Administrative experience demonstrating the ability to lead a complex institution in a Christian environment