Vice President of Academic Affairs/Dean
Director of the Doctor of Ministry Program
Clara Scott Professor of Church & Ministry
B.A., Bethel College
M.Div., Memphis Theological Seminary
D.Min., Vanderbilt University
D.D., Bethel College
Dr. Robert Stanley Wood, Vice President of Academic Affairs/Dean, Director of the Doctor of Ministry Program, Clara Scott Professor of Church & Ministry, joined the Memphis Theological Seminary community in July of 1998. His administrative responsibilities in 1999 included service as the Acting Academic Dean and served as Associate Dean from 2000-2010. He has served as VPAA/Dean since 2010.
Prior to coming on board as an administrative faculty member, Dr. Wood served the seminary as an adjunct faculty member (1992-1997) and a Board of Trustees member (1971-1980; 1982-1989), serving two years as Moderator of the Board of Trustees.
He is an ordained minister in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in America. He has served several pastorates since 1967. Since 2011, he has been serving as the pastor the Mt. Tabor Cumberland Presbyterian Church in America, Jackson, Tennessee.
Prior to his appointment at Memphis Theological Seminary, Dr. Wood was employed by the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in America as Director of Christian Education (1973-1979) and General Secretary/Stated Clerk (1979-1997).
- PM 10000 Christian Ministry
- PM 02869 Church Management & Leadership Development
- AA 03369 African-American Theology
- PM 04237 Spiritual Theology and Parish Ministry
- AA 01569 African-American Worship & Congregational Life
- PM 02104 The Pastor’s Role
- PM 02405 Christian Stewardship
- DM 10003 Congregational Studies
Publications and Lectureships:
- “Doctrine of the Scriptures,” article for the Cumberland Presbyterian, August 2005
- “The Biblical Character of and Contextual Influence on Christian Ministry,” Bowen Lecture, Memphis Theological Seminary, 2004
- Encounter (two issues, 1998 and 2006), adult Sunday School quarterly
- Lectures on “History of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in America,” Ingram Lectures, Memphis Theological Seminary, 1995
- Winter 1991 and Fall 1993 Older Youth church school material for Bible Discovery, a church school quarterly
- A Journey of Faith, co-authored with Morris Pepper, a church new member resource, 1985